Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Lord, Keep Me Close to You

"My sheep [people] listen to my voice," said Jesus. "I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand" (Jn. 10:27-29, NIV).

Notice that Jesus doesn't tell us to hold on to God's hand! There are plenty of believers who are letting anxiety eat them up because they feel they aren't strong enough to "hang on" as Christians. Of course they aren't; no one is! But God isn't dangling us from the end of a pole that He plans to drop if the weight of our failures gets too heavy. He isn't even holding us just by one hand; He has a firm grip on the whole of each of us.

Anyone who has raised children knows that, when you take a preschooler across a busy street, you may say "Hold on to my hand," but you're also careful to keep your own, stronger grip firmly on his hand. And if the way is obviously too hard for his young legs, you pick him up and carry him. That's what God does for us; He knows we're too weak to get anywhere on our own, but He loves us enough to give us all the help we need.

The One Who is greater than all isn't about to drop us.

Lord, keep me close to You
Through day and night:
When hope grows dark and dim,
Be my soul's light;
When life is rich and glad,
Let me still know
All comes from You alone,
Each place I go.

Lord, keep me close to You
In heart and mind:
Let not my wandering thoughts
Leave You behind;
When I am tempted by
Worry and fear,
Deepen my trust in You,
For You stand near.

Lord, keep me close to You
Till my life's end:
Walk with me night and day
As my true Friend;
And when this earthly life
Closes its door,
Bring me home safe with You,
Close evermore.

No comments: