Monday, August 25, 2008

God's Faithfulness Spans the Horizons

There are no "missing persons" as far as God is concerned; He knows where every one of us is at every moment. That's good news when we feel totally alone and as if no one cares.

It doesn't seem so good when we're dealing with guilt or wanting to do things our own way. It's impossible to hide from God, however much we'd like to. Adam learned that after he ate the forbidden fruit. Jonah learned it when he tried to dodge his duty. David had it brought home when confronted with a sin he'd tried to cover up.

I wonder if it was before or after that incident that David penned Psalm 139: "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.... If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to you" (verses 7-8, 11-12, NIV). I'd like to think David wrote those words after his repentance, that the experience brought home to him in a new way that God's knowing everything we do--even our sins--is really a blessing. If God were weak enough for us to hoodwink, He likely would also be too weak to catch us before one sin led to another and another, or to help us resist temptation (cf. 1 Cor. 10:13). If He didn't really care what we did, He would be like the weak parent who doesn't love her child enough to teach him self-discipline. Because God is always watching us--and because He cares enough to forgive us, though He would be fully justified in writing us off--He is always ready to help us on a moment's notice.

All we have to do is ask.

God's faithfulness spans the horizons:
If I could run to the dawn,
Even to the far side of the moon,
God's caring eye would look on.

God's love is as high as the heavens:
If I could soar to the sky,
Even fly beyond the Milky Way,
God's love would remain close by.

God's justice is grand as the mountains:
If I could climb to a star,
Or rest on top of Olympus Mons,
God's love never would be far.

God's truth is as deep as the ocean:
If I swam to some far shore,
Faithful Love and True would hold my hand--
How could I dare ask for more!

No comments: