Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Let Me Hear God's Music

What is your favorite music style? I have always liked songs in the folk/country/gospel tradition, as well as hymns. Classical music, having no lyrics to hold my easily distracted attention, rates somewhat lower. Nor do I personally care much for the harder and less melodious modern styles, though I agree with those who say there is no bad music (in the moral sense), only bad lyrics.

The idea of the "best" music of course varies widely from generation to generation and from country to country. But virtually every culture has some sort of musical tradition. Genesis 4 records the first musical instruments as dating back to at least the seventh generation after Adam (v. 21). And the Hebrews worshiped God with music since before the building of the first Temple (cf. 1 Samuel 10:5; 2 Samuel 6:5).

The human love of music is yet another reflection of God's image in us. Even at creation, the Bible says, "the morning stars sang together" (Job 38:7a, NIV, emphasis added). The angels sing constant praises to God, as do the saints in heaven (Rev. 5:8-10, 11-13).

When we on earth contemplate God's glory, and His handiwork in Creation, we can catch faint strains of that heavenly music.

Creation sang God's glory in the beginning,
And the music will continue in the world to be:
Let me carry the songs of the Lord in me every day of my life,
And let heaven's music hear its voice expressed through me.

Let me hear God's music
Whether the sky is blue or gray;
Let me share God's music
With a world so often dark and drear;
Let me sing God's music
To show the way home to some poor hurting soul;
Let me give God's music
To a lonely world that longs to hear.

As the angels sang God's glory at the Savior's birth,
Showing the world a light that would shine from that day on,
Let me carry the songs of the Lord to a world longing for the Light;
Let me bear the torch that will guide to the final Dawn.

Let me hear God's music
Whether the sky is blue or gray;
Let me share God's music
With a world so often dark and drear;
Let me sing God's music
To show the way home to some poor hurting soul;
Let me give God's music
To a lonely world that longs to hear.

Let me hear God's music
Whether the sky is blue or gray;
Let me share God's music
With a world so often dark and drear;
Let me sing God's music
To show the way home to some poor hurting soul;
Let me give God's music
To a lonely world that longs to hear.

No comments: